The Vernacular Architecture Forum seeks nominations for the 2019 Paul E. Buchanan Award
The application deadline is January 4, 2019
The Paul E. Buchanan Award was instituted by VAF in 1993 to recognize contributions to the study and preservation of vernacular architecture and the cultural landscape that do not take the form of books or published work. Hundreds of studies, reports, documentation projects, restoration plans, National Register nominations, exhibits, video/digital media productions and public programs are completed each year without the benefit of distribution or recognition beyond the limited audience for which they were commissioned. Nonetheless, many of these efforts can serve to inform and inspire us all. The award is named for Paul E. Buchanan who served for over thirty years as the Director of Architectural Research at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Buchanan set the standard for architectural fieldwork in America and inspired many VAF members in the rewards of fieldwork. This award honors the valuable work that most of our members and professional associates perform.
The Vernacular Architecture Forum seeks nominations for the Paul E. Buchanan Award.
Exceptional projects that set new standards or model innovative practices, completed in the last two years are eligible for consideration and may include, but are not limited to:
- Architectural Recording Projects (including HABS/HAER/HALS)
- Historic Structures Reports
- Cultural Resource Surveys
- Historic Designation Studies (including National Register and National Historic Landmark, or the equivalent)
- Preservation or Conservation Plans
- Restoration or Rehabilitation Projects that express the significance of the resource or illustrate novel ways the resource has been preserved
- Furnishing Plans and Installations
- Exhibits and Other Temporary Installations
- Permanent Museum Exhibits
- Visual Arts Presentations (e.g. drawing, painting, photography, 3-D media)
- Film and Video Presentations
- Computer Applications and Modeling
- Educational and Interpretive Programs
- Symposia, Conferences, and Public Events
Nomination materials should include:
- Cover letter that explains the merits of the project and outlining the ways the project sets new standards or models innovative practices or otherwise contributes to the study and preservation of vernacular architecture or cultural landscapes.
- Project documentation, e.g. copy of the report, audio-visual presentation, exhibition boards, etc. in a format that can be downloaded to the VAF Buchanan committee.
Please submit nomination materials electronically in a single zip file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Should the file size exceed 50MB, please communicate with us at the same address. Likewise, if you must send a paper or hard copy of your documentation, please email us so that we may make alternate arrangements.
The application deadline for 2019 Buchanan Award is January 4, 2019.
Electronic nomination materials should be submitted to Buchanan Award. Hard copies should be sent to:
18615 Brooke Road
Sandy Spring, MD 20860
Catherine Lavoie, chair